It’s summer, and while we all talk about “beating the heat”, sometimes the heat starts beating us! So, how can we keep our house cool in the midst of a heatwave without killing our wallet with the A/C bill?
- Close all the blinds and curtains to block out the sun and reflect the heat away from your home. HINT: White reflects the most heat! For another little boost, you can also include window films and solar sun screens to help block out even more.
- Install “Cool” Lighting. No, I’m not talking about flashy colored strobe lights, I mean high-efficiency low-heat LED bulbs, since normal incandescent bulbs can put off a fair amount of heat when on. Also, turn lights off if they aren’t needed.
- Do your cooking outdoors, eat meals that don’t require cooking, or use the microwave to prevent heating up your home with the stove and oven. If you do need to cook indoors, try using slow cookers, cover all pots and pans, and use the vent fan on your range hood to blow the heat outside.
- Turn off electronics like TV’s, computers, laptops, and other electronics, which can put out heat even when sitting idle.
- Single-pane windows and doors are the biggest culprits for letting heat into your home, so ensure there is proper weather-stripping, and keep doors and windows locked tight during the heat of the day. If you have no A/C, open your windows only overnight if it’s cooler than mid-70s Fahrenheit to let the cooler air in.
If you’ve found this information to be helpful, please let us know. We’d love to hear your comments and help you with other topics you may want to learn about!
Call me at 908-798-4217 or email Nina@NinaFradl.com… and Start Packing!